Food is life some people say, so there’s a General belief that what one eats has a way of affecting the person, whether adversely or positively. Below are some food myths we grew up believing as they were passed down from one generation to another.
• Beans Makes one tall : I’m sure there’s nobody that hasn’t heard of this one. This is false because height is majorly a genetic factor.
Vitamin C (e.g oranges) stops cold : Contrary to the belief that vitamin C can keep you from getting a cold, research has shown that vitamin C doesn’t ward off cold.
• Coconut water makes one dumb : I wonder who came up with this, nevertheless I couldn’t resist the sweet taste and still drank it as a kid. On the contrary, coconut water is quite nutritious.
• Swallowing Seeds makes the tree grow on your head : This is one funny myth, I can remember being scared after swallowing an orange seed, wonder why there isn’t an orange tree on my head yet.
• Okra makes one sluggish : Because okra is slimy, some believe eating it makes one sluggish. Contrary to this, okra is quite beneficial as its a rich source of fiber , minerals and vitamins.
• Snails slows one’s destiny : Due to their being slow, eating snails is believed by some to slow one’s destiny. Quite funny I must say.
• Eating Fish Eyes makes one have big eyes : Eating fish eyes might sound weird to some, but they are actually nutritious and doesn’t affect the size of one’s eyes.
• Eggs shouldn’t be shared : Some people believe boiled eggs shouldn’t be shared and individuals should eat whole eggs. I personally don’t know the logic behind this,but its definitely a myth as sharing eggs doesn’t have a repercussion.
Feel free to add yours in the comment section below.